Sumity Arora and Anjali Samson
Introduction: Tobacco use among adolescents has become a global challenge and it is reaching pandemic levels. The objectives of the study were: (a) to assess the prevalence of tobacco use among adolescents in a selected community of New Delhi; (b) To provide an organised education programme on the negative effects of tobacco smoking and how to prevent it for teenagers in a chosen New Delhi community; (c) to determine whether the organised education approach was successful in increasing adolescent knowledge of the negative effects of tobacco use and how to prevent it, and (d) to determine whether the pre-test knowledge score correlates with the chosen demographic variables for teenagers.
Materials and Methods: The research approach selected for this was quantitative research approach. The present study employs a two-phase research design. Phase I: A descriptive, non-experimental study, and Phase II: A preliminary, one-group, pre-test, post-test study. The sample was adolescents between 13 and 19 years of age. In Phase I, 200 adolescents were selected by purposive sampling technique and 118 adolescents were identified cases selected by total enumeration sampling technique in phase II. The instruments utilized in the study included a structured prevalence questionnaire, a structured knowledge questionnaire, and a structured teaching program. The pilot study was conducted to ascertain feasibility of the study.
Result and Conclusion: The results of Phase I revealed that majority of adolescent are at risk of prevalence regarding tobacco use among adolescents. An organised teaching strategy was shown to be beneficial in terms of knowledge gain as the mean pre-test knowledge score significantly correlated with a chosen demographic factor.
Adolescents, Delhi, structured teaching programme, and tobacco
- WHO report on substance abuse 1999;(Ser.No.886): https://www.WHO.com. Accessed on 7 October 2018.
- National Drug Dependence Treatment Centre; Report on treatment and management of dependent patients 2016. https:// NDDTC.com.en/fact sheet/2016.
- Kenfield SA, S tampfer MJ, Rosner BA, Colditz GA. Smoking and smoking cessation in relation to mortality and morbidity in women 2012;299(17): 2037-2047(http://www.pubmed.com)
- Abidh Ibrahim. A study to assess the awarenesss of ill effects of tobacco among among adolescents and young adults of Magalore. Nitte university journal of health science (NUJHS) September 2016;6(3):21-23 ISSN 2249-7110
- Ray R. South Asia Drug Demand Reduction Report. New Delhi: UNDCP Regional Office for South Asia; 2017. http://www. South Asia Drug Demand Reduction Report.en//2017.com
- Thakur D, “Prevalence of cigarette smoking and its predictors among adolescents of North India” south Asian journal 2016;9(3) http://www.Pubmed. com.doi 10.4103/2278330x,142946
- AK Roble,Osman MO at al, “A study to assess the prevalence of cigarette smoking and associated factors among adolescents in Eastern Ethiopia”. Journal of substance abuse and rehabilitation 13 october 2021;21(12):73-80 DOI:https://doi.org/10.2147/SAR.S331349.
- Hirani R. D and Dinavahi V. B, “A study on prevalence of tobacco consumption among adolescents and assessment knowledge, attitude, and practices regarding tobacco consumption in Ahmedabad city, Gujarat, India”. Indian Journal public health nursing 2015;4(2):32-38
- Durgesh Thakur et al. A study to evaluate the prevalence of cigarette smoking and its predictors among school going adolescents of North India. south Asian Journal of cancer 2014 Oct-Dec;3(4):193-195. DOI: 10.4103/2278-330x.142946.
- Chaudhary atul et al. A Study to Assess the knowledge smoking hazards among adolescents. International Journal of trend in scientific research and development Jan-Feb 2018;2(2) 904-908 ISSN:2456-6470
- Suzana Erico,Thais Garcia,tanni and Irma godoy. A study to assess the tobacco use in Adolescents and its Importance to Knowledge the Health Hazards and Preventive Measures. Journal of addiction research and therapy (2015); 6(1) DOI:10.4172/2155-6105.1000218 ISSN:2155-6105
- P.C. A quantitative research to Evaluate the Effectiveness of Structured Teaching Programme on Knowledge Regarding Hazards of Tobacco among Adolescents of Tallarevu Village, Kakinada International journal of advances in nursing management.2017;5(1) ISSN online :2454-2652
- Bhagya Seela S: A study to Effectiveness of Structured Teaching Programme on Knowledge Regarding tobacco use and its health effects among Adolescents in Selected village, Karminagar, Telangana; Indian journal of Nursing and health science (2015); 5(13)
- Usha Vadhel, Archana Reddy, Jeenath Justin Doss K. A study to evaluate the effectiveness of structured teaching programme On smoking hazards in term of knowledge among adolescents in selected collegea at Rajkot; Asian Journal of nursing education and research, 2021; 11(1) ISSN 2349-2996(online), 22311149(print). doi:10.5958/2349-2996.2021.00037.9
- Shukla. A Study to assess the effectiveness of structured teaching programme on knowledge among the adolescents regarding ill effects of smoking in selected village of Moga, Punjab. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research.2014;7(3) ISSN: 2349-2996(Online), 2231-1149(Print)